Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics (IAA)
Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
For students from ULB and abroad
- [24/1/2013] Plumbing Neutron Stars to New Depths
New precision measurements of the mass of short-lived zinc isotopes modify the predicted composition of neutron-star crusts...
- [21/1/2013] Hydrodynamics of mass transfer in binary star systems
This video presents the results of a hydro simulation of mass transfer in a binary system, performed by Steven Toupin. It has been made using Daniel Price's PHANTOM SPH simulation software and SPLASH visualisation tool.
- [2/1/2013] "Glitch" in Pulsar's Models
Unlike what has long been thought, sudden pulsar spin-ups may not be the manifestation of a neutron ocean permeating the crustal layers of these dead stars. ...
- [9/9/2011] Cosmic Crashes Forging Gold
The cosmic site where the heaviest chemical elements such as lead or gold are formed is likely to be identified...
- [3/7/2011] A prize from the international Wernaers fund for research and public outreach (FNRS) goes to 3 researchers (A. Jorissen, D. Pourbaix, S. Van Eck) from IAA-ULB.
- [23/6/2011] The flames of Betelgeuse
New image reveals vast nebula around famous supergiant star...
- [6/6/2011] Nicolas Chamel honoured by the Adolphe Wetrems prize 2011 for Mathematical and Physical Sciences from the Royal Academy of Belgium for his study of extreme conditions in the interiors of supernovae and neutron stars
- [1/6/2011] A cosmic firewheel blown by the wind
New observations at far-infrared wavelengths with the PACS instrument on board the Herschel Space Observatory reveal arc-like structures in the expelled matter of Mira...
|Astronomical dome |
The dome will re-open from 7 PM on Wednesday Oct 2, 2013 when the sky is clear. An answering machine (02 6503098) informs you from 5 PM on Wednesday whether the dome will be open on that evening
Building D, 11th floor, Avenue Depage, 1050 Bruxelles
Open Astronomy Courses
Wednesdays from 6 to 7pm, Lecture room H1309, Solbosch Campus - First lesson 2013-2014, September 25, 2013
Agenda available here